OAN’s Abril Elfi
5:55 PM – Tuesday, January 23, 2024
Murder charges have been filed against a man in Chicago that is suspected of murdering his wife and three daughters in a fit of rage.
The charges were filed on Tuesday, after Maher Kasseem, 63, purportedly murdered his family during a domestic abuse-related shooting. Kassem was charged with four counts of first-degree murder and he made his first court appearance on Tuesday.
Authorities have alleged that he shot four family members after an argument at their residence on Sunday morning in Tinley Park, Chicago.
The four victims who lost their lives in the shooting were Majeda Kassem, 53, Hanan Kassem, 24, and twins Halema, 25, and Zahia Kassem, 25.
The couple also reportedly has two adult sons, and one of whom still resided in the house with his siblings and parents.
Tinley Park Mayor Michael Glotz released a statement following the news of the fatal shootings.
“Words can’t describe how deeply saddened I am at this horrible tragedy,” Glotz said. “A mother and her three daughters are gone, murdered in an act of senseless domestic violence.”
Prosecutors stated in court that the couple’s initial dispute arose over money and that their unharmed 19-year-old son was at home during the incident. Prosecutors continued, explaining that the son had heard an unruly argument and gunshots, so he ran downstairs, where he saw that his mother had been shot approximately six times, while his sisters were each shot once in the head.
Maher Kassem then called the police to report that there had been a fatal shooting at the residence.
The four dead women were discovered in the lower level of the house by responding officers when they arrived. Shortly after, Maher was taken into custody and police found a gun that they assumed was used in the shooting.
“The defendant replied that there were ‘four people shot’ and ‘I’m going to jail,'” said Assistant State’s Attorney Scott Clark.
Cook County Judge Linzey Jones has ordered that Maher remains in custody until his next court hearing on February 16th since he has been declared “a safety risk” to his son and the public.
“If he gets his hands on a gun again there’s no telling who he might shoot,” Jones said.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Stay informed! Receive breaking news blasts directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here. https://www.oann.com/alerts