OAN’s Abril Elfi
1:05 PM – Monday, July 17, 2023
In order to discredit one of the Oscar winner’s accusers at the end of the defense case, Kevin Spacey’s attorneys have sought the assistance of Elton John and his husband.
After Spacey’s spouse David Furnish testified that he did not attend an annual gala ball at their Windsor home during the night the complainant said he was attacked, John briefly appeared in the London court via a video link on Monday.
As the last witness for the defense, John was followed by character references from coworkers, friends, and family, which left Spacey in tears as his attorney read them aloud in Southwark Crown Court.
At London’s Southwark Crown Court, Spacey entered a not guilty plea to 12 allegations of sexual offenses allegedly committed against four men in the U.K. between 2001 and 2013.
He is accused of committing the offenses while residing and working in Great Britain, notably beginning in 2003 when he served as creative director of the Old Vic Theater in London.
One of Spacey’s four accusers claimed that the actor grabbed his genitalia in the 2000’s so forcefully that they almost crashed the vehicle. In an effort to discredit the man’s claims, Spacey and his defense team have consistently disputed the accusation that the incident took place in either 2004 or 2005.
According to The Associated Press, John and Furnish were both called as witnesses to support Spacey’s assertion that he only ever attended the party once, in 2001, and that he did not show up in 2004 or 2005. Prior to this, Spacey submitted work schedules and itineraries to demonstrate that he was filming throughout the incidents in 2004 and 2005.
Although Spacey’s accuser has admitted he may have miscalculated the dates, he has steadfastly maintained that the purported encounter in the car actually took place. He also said that he stopped hanging out with Spacey after that.
After Spacey gave his own testimony last week, John and Furnish gave their testimony today. The four guys who are accusing Spacey testified in court as well. The actor is now facing 12 counts as a result of their allegations and he has entered a not guilty plea to each one.
Spacey is currently involved in his second significant sexual misconduct trial. The actor achieved a significant triumph last October when a jury in the U.S. exonerated him of violence charges in a civil case connected to accusations made by Anthony Rapp, one of the first people to publicly accuse Spacey.
Later in the week, closing arguments are anticipated. Spacey has since been released on bail.
Stay informed! Receive breaking news blasts directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here. https://www.oann.com/alerts