U.S. Capitol on lockdown amid protests

Demonstrators protest in the US Capitol’s Rotunda on January 6, 2021, in Washington, DC. (Photo by SAUL LOEB/AFP via Getty Images)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 8:00 PM PT – Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Protests in Washington D.C. turned hectic after a handful of unidentified demonstrators breached the capitol building.

On Wednesday afternoon, the D.C. National Guard was called after protesters broke into the U.S. Capitol, which prompted lawmakers to be escorted to safety. Congress was deliberating on the electoral college vote count at the time of the breach.

WASHINGTON, DC – JANUARY 06: A demonstrator takes a photo of other protesters who climbed a media platform after breaking through barriers onto the grounds of the Capitol Building on January 6, 2021 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Jon Cherry/Getty Images)

However, the demonstrations were overwhelmingly peaceful. Thousands of President Trump’s supporters took to the streets to protest the certification of the elections amid widespread claims of voting fraud.

WASHINGTON, DC – JANUARY 06. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)

The breach occurred after the President hosted an event outside the White House, in which he spoke out against the election process.

According to reports, at least one woman died after being shot by law enforcement while she was inside the Capitol.


In the meantime, the mayor of D.C. mandated a citywide curfew. Mayor Muriel Bowser announced Washington D.C. would be under curfew starting at 6 p.m. Eastern time.

WASHINGTON, DC – JANUARY 06: Protesters enter the U.S. Capitol Building on January 06, 2021 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)

No one will be allowed on the streets except for those designated by the mayor. Essential workers and the press are exempt from the curfew. The curfew is expected to last until 6 a.m. on Thursday.

President Trump issued a statement, which called for protesters to go home. He emphasized things have gotten out of hand, but added he understands his supporters’ pain.

Police on the ground deployed flash bangs and tear gas to disperse protestors.

Eventually, the Capitol was declared as secure three hours after the initial breach. At about 8 p.m., lawmakers were able to return to their chambers to resume the electoral vote count process.

MORE NEWS: President Trump Addresses Supporters At ‘Save America March’