Voters Believe that President Trump will Beat Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders in Latest One America News Poll
WASHINGTON, D.C., March 16, 2020 – One America News Network (“OAN”) announced today the results of its recent national poll focused on the Presidential race, Coronavirus concerns, and other matters. The poll was conducted by Scott Rasmussen on behalf of One America News. This release summarizes the results conducted on behalf of OAN from March 13-15, 2020. The online survey of 1,000 Registered Voters measured public attitudes and has a margin of sampling error of +/- 3.1 percentage points..
Survey respondents were randomly selected from a comprehensive panel of potential participants. Field work was conducted by RMG Research, Inc. Certain quotas were applied, and the final results were lightly weighted by gender, age, race, and political party to reasonably reflect the nation’s population of Registered Voters. Other variables were reviewed to ensure that the final sample is representative of the nation at large.
- Nine-out-of-ten Registered Voters (89%) are following news about the coronavirus either Very Closely (55%) or Somewhat Closely (34%). This is an extraordinary level of interest.
- Eight-out-of-ten (81%) are concerned about the coronavirus. That total includes 40% who are Very Concerned.
* Similar levels of concern are found in all demographic groups.
- Twenty-nine percent (29%) have canceled travel plans due to the outbreak.
* Younger voters are more likely than their elders to have canceled travel plans.
- Seven percent (7%) say a close friend or family member has been diagnosed with the coronavirus.
* This total includes 10% of those living in urban areas, 7% in the suburbs, and just 2% of rural voters.
* This figure is much higher among young voters. Among those 55 and older, just 1% think they know someone who has been diagnosed with the virus.
- Looking ahead, most voters express some optimism. Fifty-three percent (53%) believe that a month from now the Coronavirus will have been generally contained and things will have returned to normal.
* On the other hand, 29% believe the Coronavirus outbreak will keep getting worse and infecting more people. Eighteen percent (18%) are not sure.
* Sixty-five percent (65%) of Republicans expect it to be contained within a month. That view is shared by 48% of Democrats and 44% of other voters.
- Governments and private companies have taken many actions to address the coronavirus outbreak. American voters are very supportive at this time (see topline report for specific question wording).
SUMMARY OF VIEWS TOWARDS VARIOUS ACTIONS
|China Travel Ban||89% (73%)||10%|
|European Travel Ban||84% (61%)||13%|
|Encouraging Work From Home||89% (63%)||10%|
|Suspending Sports Events||75% (51%)||20%|
|State Bans of Large Gatherings||81% (54%)||16%|
|Co-payment Waivers||90% (72%)||9%|
|Campus Closures||82% (57%)||15%|
- Seventy-three percent (73%) Strongly Approve of the ban on travel from China, higher than support for any other action.
* The lowest level of support was found for suspending college basketball tournaments and professional sports events. Still, 51% Strongly Approve.
- In all cases, approval is higher among older people than younger voters.
- In the case of the travel bans, support is higher among Republicans than other voters. However, a majority in all parties support the travel bans.
* Eighty-five percent (85%) of Republicans Strongly Approve of the ban on travel from China. That view is shared by 66% of Democrats and 66% of Independent voters.
* The ban on European travel earns Strong Approval from 77% of Republicans, 52% of Democrats, and 54% of other voters.
- While voters strongly support many actions taken in response to the coronavirus, they are more critical of the national media coverage.
* Forty-eight percent (48%) believe the national news media created a panic by overhyping the danger to the public.
* At the other end of the spectrum, 14% believe the national news media did not do enough to warn people about the potential danger.
* Thirty percent (30%) think media coverage provided a valuable service by warning people about the dangers without overstating them.
- As is almost always the case, there are significant partisan divides concerning media coverage.
* Sixty-four percent (64%) of Republicans believe the media overhyped the matter and created panic. Just 30% of GOP voters believe the media either provided a valuable service or didn’t provide enough warning.
* Most Democrat believe either that the media provided a valuable service (40%) or didn’t provide enough warning. Just 37% of Democratic voters believe the media provided too much hype.
* Independents are evenly divided. Forty-five percent (45%) believe the national media overhyped the situation while 44% see it differently.
- During the coverage, some expressed the view that using the names Wuhan virus or Chinese virus was racist. Thirty-two percent (32%) of voters consider those terms racist while 55% disagree.
* There is a massive generational divide on this question.
* Voters under 35 consider those terms racist by a 50% to 38% margin.
* Voters 55 and older disagree. Just 19% of those older voters consider the terms racist while 67% say they are not.
Election Related Topics
- Looking ahead to the presidential election, the survey results suggest that the race is very competitive.
* Former Vice President Joe Biden leads President Donald Trump by a narrow 47% to 43% margin.
- Biden and Trump are even among private sector workers.
- Biden leads by 11 among government employees.
- Trump leads by nine among retirees.
- Among others not in the work force, Biden leads by 21.
- Seventy percent (70%) of Trump voters have strong interest in the election. Sixty-three percent (63%) of Biden supporters say the same.
- Senator Bernie Sanders and the president are tied at 45% each.
* Just 27% of voters believe the Democratic National Committee (DNC) has been unfairly biased against the Sanders’ campaign.
* Among Democrats, 63% believe the DNC has conducted a fair and unbiased process. Just 16% disagree.
* A plurality of Republicans think the DNC has been unfair to Sanders while Independent voters are evenly divided.
- In a Trump-Biden contest, 46% of voters believe the president will win. Forty-five percent (45%) think Biden would come out on top.
- By a 53% to 39% margin, voters believe President Trump would defeat Senator Sanders.
- On the Generic Congressional Ballot, Democrats enjoy a nine-point advantage (48% to 39%).
- Health care is considered the most important voting issue by 25%, followed by the economy (18%), and national security (10%).
- The president’s job approval is at 47%.
Socialism and Capitalism
- Thirty-five percent (35%) of voters have a favorable opinion of Socialism while 47% hold an unfavorable view.
* Forty-eight percent (48%) of those under 35 have a positive view of Socialism.
* Just 21% of those over 55 agree.
- Fifty-six percent (56%) have a favorable opinion of Capitalism while 28% hold an unfavorable view.
* The partisan dynamics are interesting.
* Among Democrats, support for Capitalism and Socialism are essentially even—50% like Capitalism and 47% Socialism.
* Among Republicans, however, 69% like Capitalism and just 24% Socialism.
Forty-nine percent (49%) of Independent voters like Capitalism. Twenty-eight percent (28%) have a favorable opinion Socialism.
The survey was conducted online by Scott Rasmussen from March 13-15, 2020. Survey respondents were randomly selected from a comprehensive panel of potential participants. Certain quotas were applied, and the final results were lightly weighted by gender, age, race, and political party to reasonably reflect the nation’s population of Registered Voters. Other variables were reviewed to ensure that the final sample is representative of that population.
To view the complete Topline report survey results, click here.
About Herring Networks, Inc.
One America News Network is a dependable, reliable source for credible live news reporting 24/7. OAN also delivers three one-hour political talk shows, namely The Daily Ledger, Tipping Point with Liz Wheeler, and After Hours with Alex Salvi.. While other established cable news networks offer just several hours of live news coverage, only OAN can claim to consistently provide 21 hours of live coverage Monday through Friday with extensive weekend coverage. In addition to external news-gathering sources, the network operates news bureaus in Washington, D.C., New York and California. One America News Network is available on leading national cable providers, including AT&T U-verse, CenturyLink PRISM TV, Frontier Communications, Verizon FiOS TV, and numerous regional video providers across the nation. For more information on One America News Network, please visit www.OANN.com.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Herring Networks, Inc.
Phone: 858-270-6900 x 105