UPDATED 1:27 PM PT — Tuesday, January 29, 2019
The State Department is warning Americans not to travel to Venezuela, just one day after the Treasury Department announced additional sanctions on the country. On Tuesday, the department raised its travel advisory for the country to a level four, and warned all Americans to cancel any travel plans.
The department issued a statement, saying U.S. citizens should not travel to the South American country due to civil unrest and the arbitrary detention of Americans among other factors. The department also said the U.S. government has limited ability to give emergency services to Americans in the country.
This comes after the State Department ordered all non-essential personnel to leave the U.S. Embassy in Caracas last week.
Meanwhile, acting Defense Secretary Pat Shanahan is not ruling out sending U.S. troops to Colombia. In an interview Tuesday, Shanahan said the Pentagon is committed to adding pressure on the Maduro regime.
He refused to say whether the Trump administration is planning a military deployment near Venezuela, and said he hasn’t discussed the matter with National Security Adviser John Bolton.
“Obviously State and Treasury are taking significant number of steps to recognize the National Assembly and President Guaido — we are supporting, we’re monitoring the situation very carefully, and we’re watching, and we are working very much in real time,” stated the acting defense secretary
Shanahan also said the Pentagon would send several thousand more U.S. troops to the Mexico border to curb the ongoing influx of illegal immigrants.