Secy. Pompeo defends decision to release Clinton emails


Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks during a news conference at the State Department, Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta, POOL)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 11:44 AM PT – Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the State Department will do everything it can to ensure the American people can see as much of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s emails as they can produce.

During a press conference Wednesday, Pompeo stated the agency will make sure it makes the right decisions for the American people regarding transparency. He noted the release of the emails from Clinton’s private server is an ongoing process, but pointed out 35,000 are already up on the department’s website.

Pompeo stressed the Democrat’s use of a private server is a very important issue.

“You’ll recall I previously served as a member of Congress, where Secretary Clinton’s use of personal a server containing classified information became a very important issue,” he explained. “I think that’s really important for the American people to continue to understand.”

The State Department chief also said releasing Clinton’s emails for the sake of transparency is not a violation of the Hatch Act, which prohibits participating in political activity while on official duty.

“This isn’t that there was a stray comment on her personal server, this was a system designed to evade State Department rules and regulations on which that server ended up containing highly classified information,” Pompeo continued. “That’s important.”

RELATED: President Trump authorizes ‘total declassification’ of all documents on Russia hoax, Clinton emails scandal