UPDATED 1:17 PM PT – Sunday, December 12, 2021
Another crew member from the set of the film “Rust” filed a lawsuit over the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. According to the lawsuit filed in November by script supervisor Mamie Mitchell against Alec Baldwin, the movie’s producers and directors claim the script never called for a gun to be fired.
“I’ll never forget what happened on the set of Rust that day,” she stated. “I relive the shooting and the sound of the explosion from the gun over and over again.”
Mitchell, who made the 911 call, added that Baldwin should have checked the gun for live rounds himself, instead of relying on the assistant director. Attorney Gloria Allred, who is representing Mitchell, accused the actor of behaving recklessly when he fired the gun without examining it.
“Mr. Baldwin chose to play Russian roulette when he fired a gun without checking it and without having the armorer do so in his presence,” said the the attorney. “His behavior and that of the producers on ‘Rust’ was reckless.”
Allred reiterated there was nothing on the script about the gun being discharged. She stressed the film’s producers and Baldwin failed to follow safety protocols.
“Why the gun was discharged, you know, the facts will have to fully come out,” said the attorney. “But it was not because the scene that was to be filmed called for him to pick up a gun and discharge it, to cock the hammer of the gun and pull the trigger. It was not in the script.”
The film’s head of lighting, Serge Svetnoy, also filed a lawsuit against the producers, including Baldwin. The current suit seeks both compensation and punitive damages.
New reports revealed the assistant director from the set has been subpoenaed to speak with investigators.
David Halls was recently summoned by the New Mexico Occupational Health and Safety Bureau amid the ongoing workplace safety investigation regarding the fatal “Rust” incident. Halls allegedly handed Baldwin the loaded gun that killed Hutchins, but Halls’ attorney denied those claims last month.
Additionally, Halls reportedly refused to be interviewed by safety officials twice. The assistant director must appear before the court Dec. 14.
Meanwhile, Baldwin gave his first interview since the fatal accident.
Baldwin sat down with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos to discuss the incident. The actor broke emotionally when speaking of 42-year-old Hutchins.
“She was someone who was loved by everyone who worked with her, and liked and admired,” said Baldwin. “It wasn’t in the script for the trigger to be pulled. Well, the trigger wasn’t pulled. I didn’t pull the trigger. Someone put a live bullet in a gun. A bullet that wasn’t even supposed to be on the property.”
Baldwin insisted he is not to blame for the fatal shooting on his movie set.
“Someone is responsible for what happened, and I can’t tell you who that is, but I know it’s not me,” said Baldwin.
On Thursday, Baldwin claimed he didn’t pull the trigger on the gun that killed Hutchins and wounded Souza.
“So, I take the gun and I start to cock the gun. I’m not going to pull the trigger. I said ‘do you see that? Well just cheat it down and tilt it down just a little bit like that’ and I cocked the gun and go ‘can you see that? Can you see that? Can you see that?’ and she says…and then I let go of the hammer of the gun and the gun goes off. I let go of the hammer of the gun and the gun goes off,” Baldwin said.
A judge revealed on Tuesday, the live round may have been left in the gun from a previous film production. While, authorities found 500 rounds of live ammunition on the New Mexico movie set.
The shooting came the same day several crew members reportedly walked off the set due to unsafe working conditions, which Baldwin said he heard nothing about. However, two civil lawsuits have been filed by crew members claiming Baldwin is responsible for the working conditions on set.
Baldwin said “it is highly unlikely he will be charged with anything criminally.” As of now, no charges have been filed.