North Korea says U.S.-South Korea drills violate inter-Korean military treaty

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 9:11 AM PT — Mon. Nov. 12, 2018

North Korea is accusing the U.S. and South Korea of violating a treaty aimed at lowering conflict on the Korean peninsula.

On Monday, North Korean state media claimed the U.S.’s joint military drills with South Korea, which restarted last week, violate the so-called inter-Korean military agreement. However, South Korean officials have pushed back by saying defensive exercises were exempt from the agreement.

South Korean marines take position during their regular drill on Yeonpyeong Island, South Korea Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018. The U.S. and South Korea are reviewing whether they will conduct large-scale military exercises next year and will decide before December. South Korean Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo told reporters Wednesday at the Pentagon that if more exercises are suspended the two countries will conduct other training to mitigate the lapse. (Jeon Heon-kyun/Pool Photo via AP)

This comes after North Korea canceled a meeting with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo last week, with outgoing United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley explaining the north was “not prepared” for the talks.

“You know, North Korea said they needed to postpone it for whatever reason, Secretary Pompeo was ready to come,” she explained. “I have talked with the administration and basically what we’re looking at is they postponed it because they weren’t ready.”

President Trump is still expected to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and top Korean officials in January.