UPDATED 9:04 AM PT — Monday, August 19, 2019
Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson recently warned there will be “severe consequences” if the U.S. attempts to seize a ship in Gibraltar. Early Monday, Iranian official Abbas Mousavi gave an update on the ship’s fate.
The spokesperson claimed he is still waiting on a court order to release a British-flagged oil tanker, just days after Gibralter released an Iranian tanker back into international waters. Mousavi also claimed investigators were still looking into potential “nautical violations” committed by the British-flagged tanker.
“There is no specific relation between these two ships (Stena Impero and Adrian Darya 1). We are glad that our stance about the unlawful and illegal seizure of our tanker has been proven. Regarding the release of the law-breaking British tanker (Stena Impero), we have to wait for the court’s ruling. This tanker has committed two to three nautical violations that are being investigated.
— Abbas Mousavi – foreign ministry spokesperson – Iran
Iran had detained the vessel in a tit-for-tat response to the EU’s seizure of its own tanker back in July. According to reports, analysts said the release in Gibraltar could signal that Iran would be willing to let the other ship go.