Iran Nuclear Chief: EU failed to commit to 2015 deal, uranium enrichment to continue

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 8:21 AM PT — Monday, September 9, 2019

The director the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Ali Akbar Salehi, is blaming the European Union for the collapse of the 2015 nuclear deal.

During a meeting with officials from the United Nations nuclear watchdog Sunday, Salehi said Iran’s plans to boost uranium enrichment are fully justified. He said the EU should have maintained business ties with Iran to prevent Tehran from advancing its nuclear program.

Last week, the Ayatollah regime said it would continue to reduce its commitments under the failed 2015 accord. UN officials say they will continue to monitor Iran’s nuclear activities.

FILE – Iran’s nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi speaks in an interview with The Associated Press at the headquarters of Iran’s atomic energy agency, in Tehran, Iran. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi, File)

“On the one hand, we monitor and verify the implementation of your commitments under the agreement, and on the other hand we have an active interaction on the implementation of the agreement and the additional protocol,” said Cornel Feruta, Acting Director of the International Atomic Energy Agency

Iranian officials also accused the EU of repeatedly violating the nuclear deal.