UPDATED 1:56 PM — Tuesday, April 9, 2019
The death toll continues to rise in Libya, where attacks have killed more than 45 people in the last few days.
The most recent attacks reportedly happened at health care facilities near Tripoli. At least two doctors are among the dead, while more than 180 others have been injured.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said dozens of strikes have been recorded across Libya since last year.
“We reiterate that targeting health care workers and health facilities is against the international humanitarian law,” stated Tarik Jasarevic of the WHO.
The organization is asking for emergency donations to help replenish medical supplies.
While fighting near the capital continues, a United Nations envoy said he does not see a peace conference taking place as scheduled next week.
“Intentionally targeting civilians or civilian objects as well as indiscriminate attacks may amount to war crimes,” said Ravina Shamdasani, UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.