Astroworld’s Travis Scott, Drake, Live Nation sued for $750M for ‘gross negligence’

FILE - Travis Scott performs at Day 1 of the Astroworld Music Festival at NRG Park on Friday, Nov. 5, 2021, in Houston. Concertgoers described mounting anticipation for the headline rapper that led people to push toward the stage. (Photo by Amy Harris/Invision/AP, File)

FILE – Travis Scott performs at Day 1 of the Astroworld Music Festival at NRG Park on Friday, Nov. 5, 2021, in Houston. Concertgoers described mounting anticipation for the headline rapper that led people to push toward the stage. (Photo by Amy Harris/Invision/AP, File)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 2:58 PM PT – Wednesday, November 17, 2021

According to activity logs, nearly 5,000 people snuck into rapper Travis Scott’s Astroworld music festival. The Houston Fire Department’s logs, obtained by USA Today, depict what was heard by fire officials as they reportedly overheard cases where people were trying to breach security at the event.

According to reports, over 200 people were medically treated even before Scott made his appearance on stage. Additionally, police were said to have requested riot equipment after mass amounts of people tried to make their way into the festival.

Meanwhile, an attorney confirmed another concertgoer died from their wounds, bringing the current death count to nine. Scott and the festival organizers are now facing multiple lawsuits on behalf of attendees who suffered injuries in the deadly crowd surge. Many claimed they failed to provide a safe environment.

Musical artist Drake, who made a surprise appearance Friday night, has been included in one of the lawsuits for allegedly inciting the crowd. Investigators are expected to look into the type of barriers and crowd control measures used by security. Nine people were killed and more than 300 others were injured during the Astroworld event.

Fans who lined up to watch Scott perform, quickly pleaded for the show to stop after an estimated 50,000 people in the crowd began to stampede towards the front of the stage. What initiated the stampede has yet to be confirmed, but the push triggered a panic.  Authorities said people began to fall out and become unconscious, creating even more panic.

“Once we started having the mass casualty incident, they were starting CPR on several people and it happened all at once,” said Executive Chief of the Houston Police, Larry Satterwhite. “It seemed like it happened over the course of just a few minutes. Suddenly, we had several people down on the ground experiencing some type of cardiac arrest or some type of medical episode.”

Houston Police said approximately two dozen people were rushed to area hospitals and at least 11 were in cardiac arrest while being transported. Some of the injured were as young as 10-years-old. Additionally, more than 300 patients were treated at a field hospital location set up near the festival.

“It seemed like it happened with just over the course of just a few minutes,” said Satterwhite. “Suddenly, we had several people down on the ground, experienced some type of cardiac arrest or some type of medical episode.”

Witnesses said fans were screaming at the stage crew in an attempt to convince them to stop the concert, but no one listened.

On Saturday, Scott tweeted he was devastated with what took place, adding his prayers go out to all of the families impacted. The multi-day festival was cancelled for the rest of the weekend and authorities have opened an investigation into the tragic incident.

Lawyers representing the attendees allege the tragedy was both predictable and preventable. Scott was reportedly warned about the dangers of the crowd just before the Astroworld festival kicked off.

According to the New York Times, Houston Police Chief Troy Finner, who knows Scott personally, met with the rapper before the event. Finner reportedly raised concerns to Scott about the crowd’s energy, which had been building for months.

Despite the warning, Scott continued with the show. Scott has a history of inciting violence at his shows. In 2015 and 2017, he was arrested and charged for allegedly encouraging “moshing” at concerts, which left several people injured.

In the meantime, Scott, Drake and Live Nation are now being sued for a total of $750 million amid the Astroworld Music Festival tragedy earlier this month. The suit was filed by a Houston civil court, which included 125 Astroworld Festival victims, the family of lost loved ones and attorney Tony Buzbee, who claim the two rappers and the production company acted “negligently” in planning the concert.

Apple, who live-streamed the event, is also named in the suit along with Epic Records and the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation. Buzbee has stated that his firm intends to file another suit with 100 more named plaintiffs.

MORE NEWS: Biden Says Illegal Border Crossers Separated From Families By Trump Deserve Compensation