UPDATED 6:47 AM PT — Tues. March 13, 2018
Residents of Austin, Texas are on edge as local, state, and federal authorities search for a suspected bomber whose explosive devices, disguised as packages, have already left two dead and two others seriously injured.
“This, again, is the third in what we believe to be related incidents that have occurred over the past 10 days and similar to what we have said in the earlier instances, we want the community to be aware of what is going on,” warned Austin Police Chief Brian Manley.
The first attack came earlier this month, killing a 39-year-old man, while two further explosions on Monday killed a still-unidentified teenager and injured two women.
The packages were described by authorities as small, and did not appear to have been sent through the postal system. A motive has yet to be determined.
The city is in the middle of hosting the annual South by Southwest Music, Film, and Technology Festival, which draws hundreds-of-thousands of visitors to the area every year.
The events organizers have warned attendees not to open any suspicious packages, and report them to authorities.
Texas Governor Greg Abbot has separately offered a $15,000 reward for information leading to the suspect’s arrest.
Authorities have asked the public to remain calm in the face of danger.
“It’s not time to panic, but it’s time to be vigilant and it’s time to pay attention,” said Chief Manley. “It’s time to pull together as a city and a community and solve this, so we need the community’s participation.”