Kevin Spacey to be erased from Sony film about Getty kidnapping: reports

Actors Chris Plummer and Kevin Spacey in a combination photograph.
FILE PHOTO: Actor Christopher Plummer (L) is pictured arriving at the 2016 Canadian Screen Awards in Toronto, Ontario March 13, 2016, and Kevin Spacey (R) is pictured at the 71st Tony Awards in New York City, U.S., June 11, 2017 in this combination of file photos. REUTERS/Mark Blinch, Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/File Photo

November 9, 2017

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The director and producers of the completed but unreleased Hollywood film “All the Money in the World” have chosen to remove Kevin Spacey from the movie, recast his role and reshoot his scenes following sexual misconduct allegations against the actor.

The extraordinary measure to erase a leading actor from a completed major studio picture and reconstruct the film without him was reported by three major Hollywood trade publications – Variety, The Hollywood Reporter and Deadline Hollywood.

A source close to the distributor of the film, Sony Pictures, told Reuters the accounts were accurate.

Spacey will be replaced by veteran actor Christopher Plummer in the role of the late U.S. oil tycoon, Jean Paul Getty, in the Ridley Scott-directed drama about the 1973 kidnapping of his then teenage grandson, John Paul Getty III, the three publications reported.

Sony Pictures also withdrew the movie from the American Film Institute’s (AFI) annual festival in Los Angeles on Nov. 16. The film is expected to open on Dec. 22, Variety reported.

Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams, who also star in the movie, are expected to be involved with the reshoots. Sources told Variety that Spacey shot about two weeks worth of footage and that there are many scenes where Getty is the only character.

The reshooting comes after actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of trying to seduce him in 1986 when Rapp was 14. Spacey has said he does not remember the incident but has apologized. According to his representatives he is seeking unspecified treatment.

Eight current and former employees of the Netflix TV show “House of Cards,” who were not identified, also have accused Spacey, the star of the show, of sexual misconduct, CNN has reported.

It said it would not be involved in further production of “House of Cards” with Spacey, who reportedly had been suspended from the political show. Netflix has said it also will not release the film “Gore,” in which Spacey plays the late U.S. writer Gore Vidal.

(Reporting by Kevin Regan in Los Angeles and Brendan O’Brien in Milwaukee; Editing by Michael Perry)

  • Linda Rader

    Boy, Spacey is going down

  • hobartneck

    I like Kevin. I could care less what Hollywood horseplay goes on. We all know they are deviants; let them act and keep their sex off camera.

  • Steve Maxedon

    Do-overs are a thing in Hollywood these days. Sorta like MSM saying it and then immediately apologizing for it. But in this case, its already out there and will be for some time the Kevin Spacey version of Getty. The Harveywood version of abortion. Just not as permanent.

  • shafawn

    Hollywood churns out more pornography than all the other countries of the world combined. The feigned dismay over a couple abusers is almost as disturbing as the acts themselves. As if the entire industry isn’t teaming and over run with pedophiles and perverts.

    • Linda Rader

      That is a shame on our nation

      • shafawn

        Yes it is

  • Varangian Guard

    Hit the poof in the pocketbook.
    Hit them all for their $$ and boycott their so called entertainment. Read books again.
    Evolve and enlighten yourselves. It’s the right thing to do.

    • All American

      Our family has boycotted everything Hollywood that is not based on true military stories for several years!
      It feels good to have core values👍🏻

  • fay9169

    Spacey is a smart man. If any of the witch trial is true, which I doubt it is, he had consensual relationships with other men….if a man sits there and allows another man to touch his genitals, that is consensual!

    • Varangian Guard

      Speaking from the heart are ya?

      • All American

        With his heart on

  • henry

    oh well, hes an obvious dirtbag…….. I dont care at all if the guy is gay but so many accusations from underage people tells the truth about him. “Rehab” now thats funny sheet. Did they cure Weinstein yet?

  • Dan Taylor

    Spacey isn’t the only Hollywood pervert! They’d have to erase and reshoot thousands of movies. I think Spacey has become their ‘sacrificial lamb’… once he’s gone, people will forget and it’s back to perversion as usual…

  • Terry

    Too Funny! Absolutely, Too, Too, Funny!

    Hollywood is not mad at Spacey, or Weinstein, or De Niro, or several hundred other Hollywood Elites that have “Raped and Pillaged” (so to speak) for years. Hollywood is mad that Hollywood got caught. Make no mistake, the Box Office is all Hollywood cares about, and the fact that Major Studios, like Sony, allowed perverts, pedophiles, and sodomites to make millions while deceiving the theater going public, is the problem. Sony may have to reshoot hundreds of movies, or place a “Black Box” over the faces of actors when reruns are released.

    • Dan Taylor

      Very well said…

  • intimeforthedime

    That is Hilarious!

  • marcthepig

    Hollyweird eating their own. Delicious.