December 29, 2017
China sends it’s response to President Trump after he called out the country for continuing to trade with North Korea.
Despite photographic evidence, China is denying recent reports that it’s continuing to trade with the regime.
Satellite images released by the U.S. Treasury Department on Thursday shows a Chinese vessel allegedly selling oil to the isolated dictatorship.
While Beijing didn’t directly deny the authenticity of the photos, a foreign ministry spokeswoman said the government would never have allowed the transaction to take place.
“We never allow Chinese citizens and companies to engage in activities that violate the Security Council resolutions,” said Hua Chunying, a spokeswomen for the Chinese Foreign Ministry. “If, through investigation, it’s confirmed there are violations of the Security Council resolutions, China will deal with them seriously in accordance with laws and regulations.”
The spokeswoman added, there were no records of the ship in question entering or exiting any Chinese ports.
The Treasury says the transaction happened in deep waters between the two countries.
Earlier on Thursday, President Trump tweeted out about the incident saying he’s very disappointed China would allow the transaction to happen.
Caught RED HANDED – very disappointed that China is allowing oil to go into North Korea. There will never be a friendly solution to the North Korea problem if this continues to happen!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 28, 2017
The president has said his so-far friendly relationship with China would continue only if it continued to help put pressure on North Korea.